Thursday, March 06, 2014

Organizing Photos


On Pinterest, I have seen many different ideas for organizing pictures for backup reasons.  We do have a hard drive (pictured on the right) with all of our pictures and videos, but because we back it up often, we are infamous for forgetting to take it back to the bank to put it in the safety deposit box.  So if there ever was a fire in our home (heaven forbid), our backup would be gone and we would have nothing.
So I decided to just use some disks and every year I will burn another one for that year.  Now, I don't know if it's just me or what, but I saw on Pinterest one disk per year, nicely labeled with the year.  Well, I guess I take WAY too many pictures, because some of the years that I was burning had up to 7 disks for one year.  That's a LOT of pictures and videos!




The whole process took about one week to get all the pictures from the hard drive to the disks.  But they are done now and they will make their way to the bank shortly so that they are safe!







I also though I would share how I save my pictures on the computer because as you saw, I take a LOT of pictures and organization is KEY.
If you look at the top of the open window, you will see Archives > 2011.  That means that I keep all of my old pictures and videos in the archive folder.  That way my current pictures are more visible.  In the 2011 folder, I have 12 month folders.  So if I am looking for something specific and I know it was in August, I just have to open that folder.  But wait, there's more . . .




Inside each month, there are MORE folders by activity, child, trips, events, etc.  So for example, this month has pictures of the kids First Day of School, pictures we took of potential houses in our new town, Jax (our cat, who unfortunately passed away in September) and Pumpkin Hallow, a trip we took to a corn maze with the kids.


And that's how I keep my pictures organized!  Thanks for reading and I hope I have given you some inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment