Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Puffy Paint

Original Post: One Crafty Mumma

Directions:
- Combine 1tbsp Flour, 1tbsp Salt and a few drops of food colouring.
- Add some water to make a nice smooth paste
- Paint on a nice thick sheet of cardboard
- Microwave the design on high for 10 - 30 seconds until the paint puffs and it's all nice and dry







































Our Story:
After the kids woke up from nap, we started getting together what we needed for the project.  You know how hard it is to find cardboard?  I mean, when I don't want it, it's all over my house, but when I NEED it, I can't find it for the life of me.  Finally, we found a diaper box a ripped off two of the top flaps.
Next we started getting the paint ready.  This was a fun AND educational part of the activity.  I got some bowls down from the cupboard and we made paint the would match the colour of the bowl.  But we only had blue, yellow and red food colouring so my daughter learned how to mix and create different colours.




















Finally, I used some cotton swabs for the painting.  Worked probably better than paintbrushes would just because of how thick the paste was.  My son wasn't really interested in it - he made one creation at the end - but he's only 20 months.  My daughter on the other hand, really enjoyed the project.




















So ater creating each picture, I put each individually in the miccrowave for 30 seconds each.  I watched very carefully because I was nervous that something was going to start on fire.  There was a bad smell afterwards, but nothing started on fire.

Verdict:
It was a really fun activity and I think I would do it again on a rainy or snowy, cold day.

No comments:

Post a Comment