Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Big VS Little

Somewhere between the ages of 24-36 months, toddlers should understand the difference between big and small and be able to use those adjectives in sentences.


This activity had two different parts to it, mostly because my son didn't quite understand the first one.  Please learn from this.  Just because your child (OR STUDENTS) don't understand something the FIRST time, it may not be that they don't understand.  Maybe it's the way you are teaching them.  All children learn in different ways.  So try a different route for everything that you teach.

Step One: Big VS Little Shapes.  This was just a basic stretch one weekend morning when we were upstairs getting dressed.  My boy can be kinda wild in the morning (and in the afternoon, early morning, late afternoon, evening, before bed . . . you get the point) so I was trying to calm him down while waking up my 4 year old (teenage) daughter.  I said, "Stretch BIG" and "Stretch SMALL" and we went back and forth like that.  My son copied for a little while but had not interest at all to stretch his body.  Had we continued, I would have gone into big and small animal stretches as well, but we didn't make it that far.



Step Two: Big VS Little Toys.  This was way more up my sons alley.  I juts found some toys in the basement that had big and little versions (blocks, alligators, balls, trains) and put them in front of him, one pair at a time.  Where's the little train?  Where's the big block?  He had a hard time at first, but he soon caught on.  I knew he had mastered this activity when he said "Mommy, I potty.  Little potty."







Teaching Big and Little to your little ones:
  • Use the language every day.  Do you see the small car?  Look at the big semi!
  • Blow up a balloon and watch it go from little to big.
  • Put items in order from littlest to biggest.  Stacking blocks are a great toy!
  • Finally, here are some books that include little and big concepts:
        • The Mitten by Jan Brett
        • The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
        • Three Billy Goats
        • In the Small, Small Pond by Denise Fleming
 


No comments:

Post a Comment