Thursday, June 21, 2012

Fast Movements, Fast Heart

In Kindergarten, children can start understanding how their bodies are feeling before and after cardio activities.  They should also be able to participate in vigorous activities for 4 consecutive minutes.

It was really nice on the weekend, so the kids and I decided to take a walk to the park.  Just behind the park is a large grassy area with trees and it's beautiful!  So to take advantage of this area, we took the soccer ball with us and played a quick game of soccer (about 5 minutes) on the grass.  Everyone was running and getting exercise and it was a lot of fun!  I will admit that I have never thought to take the soccer ball to the park like this.  But what a great idea?  I think it will come with us more often!

There was two different parts to this activity.  Before and after.  Before we started playing, I talked to my daughter about how she was feeling.  I was very specific.  How does your heart feel?  How are you breathing?  Are you warm or cool?  After we played soccer, I asked her the same questions and these were her answers.

"My heart is goin' fast.  So is my breath.  It's fast cause I was exercising.  And now I'm hot.  I'm not cool anymore.  Can I take off my sweater?"



Here are some quick numbers on how active our children SHOULD be.  How active are your children?
  • Children UNDER 4 should be moving at least 180 minutes every day
  • Children between the ages of 5-11 should be active for 60 minutes every day
  • Teens between the ages of 12-17 should be active for 60 minutes every day
  •  

No comments:

Post a Comment