Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Carrot Muffins

A couple weeks ago we decided to put Muffins on the Menu Board on the weekend so that I could make the muffins with the kids one day and then we could eat the for breakfast the next.  We just made basic carrot muffins - I took ideas from different recipes, made a couple changes of my own and they turned out REALLY good!  I don't like muffins that fall apart - they make too much mess.  These muffins did not fall apart and the kids LOVED them!  My daughter even helped me peel the carrots!



Here's the recipe and instructions!

All-Purpose Flour - 2 cups
Brown Sugar (packed) - 2/3 cups
Baking Powder - 1 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Ground Cinnamon - 1/2 tsp

Large Eggs - 2
Soured Milk - 3/4 cup (add 3/4 tbsp vinegar to 3/4 cup milk and let it sit for 1 minute)
Apple Sauce - 1/3 cup (one individual package)
Vanilla Extract - 1/2 tsp

Grated Carrots - 1 1/2 cups

Mix the first 7 ingredients together.  Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.  Add the wet ingredients to the well.  Add the carrots.  Mix with hands, mix well.  This is the key to getting the muffins to not fall apart with the kids.  If you want your muffins more delicate, then mix the wet ingredients in another bowl BEFORE you add them to the well.  Then stir a few times until just wet.  Use an ice cream scoop to fill up 12 muffin tins (I did not use paper, I just sprayed the tins so the muffins wouldn't stick).  Bake at 375F for 20-22 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment