Monday, October 22, 2012

Felt Boards

Storytime!  I love story time, but reading a story every day can/will get really boring.  So I like to switch it up!  Depending on the day, I choose one or two of the following activities.  Songs, reading a story, doing nursery rhymes, felt board stories/rhymes and youtube storytime (there will be a post on that later!).
We have some really old felt stories in our classroom, but they work for now until I can find the time to make some new ones.  Storage was one problem that I had but the boards . . . they were another one.  We had two boards.  They were just felt glue gunned onto cardboard.  They were starting to bend and they just were not sturdy. 
This summer when we were on holidays, one of the places that we went was a Children's Museum.  That was where I got the idea for a new felt board.

What you need:
a large poster frame (Walmart)
felt (I reused the fabric from our current felt boards)

1. Take the glass/plastic out of the frame.  DON'T THROW IT IN THE GARBAGE!  REUSE IT!  THEY MAKE FOR A GREAT PAINTING SURFACE AT THE EASLE!

2. Measure and cut the felt so that it fits nicely on the backing of the frame.

3. Use a glue gun and glue the felt onto the backing of the frame.  Once on, you may have to trim it again because the felt will be too thick and it won't allow the backing to fit into the frame properly.

3. VOILA!  You now have a sturdy felt board that will stand the test of time!

I made two for our classroom.  One for the teacher to use and then I put the other one on the wall so that the kids can make up stories and use their own felt board.  They LOVE it!

No comments:

Post a Comment