Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Playdough mats and Letter Magna Doodle




This week our focus was

A a B b
Green
Square

Here are a few of the learning ideas that we did this week . . .

We used playdough mats.  I printed off shapes, letters (upper and lower case) and numbers (counting and the numeral).  Both of the kids had a great time with this activity two different days this week after school.

You can find the pintable's here:




And instead of laminating all of the pages (because money is tight and we don't have access to a free laminator), I used page protectors.  I did not tape the ends closed, but I'm sure you could if you wanted!  It keeps the paper safe and you can easily store the pages in a binder without using a hole punch.








Find the Letter!
We used the Magna Doodle and I printed upper and lower case A's and B's all over.  First I did JUST A's or JUST B's and then I started to add other letters to make him look a little harder.  Once I had printed the letters, he would use the square magnet to cover the uppercase letters and the triangle magnet to cover the lowercase.  He was a master and sped through it real quick - but he wanted to keep playing it over and over and over again.





We talked about a square and how many sides it had.  He then pointed out that it also had four "pointy sides" which I explained were corners.  I had a handful of popsicle sticks in front of us, many different colours - but only the yellow had four sticks.  The rest had more or less.  It was now his job to build a square using all of one colour.  It took him a while and he tried and tried, but eventually he figured out that he should count first and THEN build.  Once he built it, I wrote on each popsicle stick with a marker.  We will do this for every shape until we have a full collection!




This was a sorting by colour file folder game.  Again, I am unsure of what the original source is, so please leave a comment to I can add it in later on!
This concept is way to easy for my son, however his speech is somewhat of a concern right now, so I used this activity more as a speech tool than anything else.  I wanted him to make complete sentences and pronounce the words correctly.
It began with me saying a sentence and him listening and placing the picture.  Then he started to repeat and eventually I stopped saying anything and he would make the complete sentences on his own.  He even used "is" and "are" appropriately without help, which was wonderful!


Book List for the Week
Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Brown Bear, Brown Bear by Bill Martin Jr.
Where's My Teddy by Jez Alborough
We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen

Plus many non-fiction books about different types of bears.



No comments:

Post a Comment