Thursday, April 17, 2014

Spray the Letter









Check out this awesome blog for the original post of this idea!


It was hot last summer and my son was getting ready to start preschool in the fall.  His big sister has taught him so much, but just how much I never know because he is always surprising me.  I wanted to see how many uppercase letters he could recognize, so I made it into a game. 


With sidewalk chalk, I wrote all 26 uppercase letters on our fence.  I handed him a spray bottle (also great for small motor practice) and we did a little "test" together.  I would say, "Spray the 'H'" and he would find that letter and spray it.


There are many other variations that you could use with this same technique, depending on the age and skill level of your child.  Here are just a few ideas . . .
  1. Use lowercase letters
  2. Mix up the letters instead of putting them in alphabetical order
  3. Mix up the letters and get your child to spray them IN alphabetical order
  4. Draw lowercase letters on the fence and hold up the uppercase letter to see if they can match
  5. Say the sound the letter makes instead of the letter
  6. If your child is learning to spell, say the word you are practicing and they can spray the letters in the correct order (see bottom picture with my daughter)





No comments:

Post a Comment